Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2 cups of white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
pinch of salt
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sucanat
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg plus 1 egg white
- Prepare cookie sheets – line pans with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add sucanet, molasses, egg, and egg white and mix slowly to incorporate. For a denser cookie, only use egg white. For a more cake-like cookie, use both egg and egg white.
- Slowly add dry ingredients mix and stir slowly until well blended; dough will seem thick.
- Roll dough into 3/4 to 1 inch balls. Place on cookie sheet.
- Use fork and make gentle a criss-cross pattern depression on top of cookie
- Bake for 8 minutes. Don’t overbake or they will be dry. The dough will be somewhat soft when removed from the oven. Allow to cool on sheet for one minute and move to a wire rack.
(there are ways to make this even healthier – use pastured eggs and butter from grassfed cows (like kerrygold brand.) also using organic products whenever possible is best.)