These are my “must haves” for a whole foods lifestyle!
I try to purchase everything organic, whenever possible:
Sweeteners – I have thrown away all white, brown, and powdered sugars and replaced them with:
- Maple Syrup – Grade B
- Raw, unpasteurized honey
- Coconut sugar
Flours – I have gotten rid of all bleached, enriched flours and replaced them with:
- Spelt Flour
- Sprouted Whole Grain Wheat
Fruits – I no longer purchase canned or conventional fruit unless not on the “dirty dozen” list. I try to purchase fresh or frozen organic fruit as much as possible. In order to stay within a reasonable budget, I frequently purchase:
- Bananas – super cheap
- Lemons & Limes
- Fresh Berries – I purchase these when they are in season and the prices are decent
- Frozen Strawberries and/or mixed berries – great for smoothies!!!
Veggies – I try to incorporate as many as I can into my sons’ (and my) meals, however, we are not veggie-lovers. I do buy organic and to stay frugal I purchase:
- Bagged baby carrots (quick, easy snacks)
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Baby Spinach & Collard Greens – great for smoothies!
- Peppers for munching
- Avocados (technically a fruit…but…)
- Potatoes (sweet and white)
- Greek Yogurt – whole fat
- Real Grassfed Butter (I love KerryGold brand)
- Guacamole (I try to make my own when possible)
- Coconut water
- Natural Peanut Butter – no added sugars or hydrogenated oils (I love Trader Joe’s brand)
- Coconut Oil
- Jasmine or Basmati Rice
- Air-popped Popcorn – great, healthy quick snack
- BPA-free canned diced tomatoes
- All sorts of beans (black, kidney, white, pinto)
- High quality dark chocolate with no SOY (find it at Trader Joes!)
- Assortment of nuts: walnuts, pecans, cashews
- Oats (regular and steel cut)
- Coconut milk (canned)
- Chia seeds
Just found you and love your page. Can you share the brand of tomato you use? I am having a very hard time finding BPA free canned tomatoes. Thanks!
I currently use Whole 365 (whole foods brand.) I don’t know if the canned are BPA free but I know they are trying to transition all their store brands to BPA-free. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/about-our-products/food-safety/bisphenol. You can by boxed tomatoes but they are very expensive. Trader Joes tomatoes are in BPA free cans: http://bpafreecannedfood.wordpress.com/bpa-free-canned-food-brands/#tjs
Have you heard of Einkorn flour. That’s our new favorite.
I have heard of it but have not yet tried it. Where can I find it?
Where do you do most of your grocery shopping at?
I have been able to do a lot of shopping for staples at Aldi lately. I fill in the rest at Trader Joes/Whole Foods but I like to get as much as I can at Aldi.